Thursday, March 26, 2009

One shoe on and one shoe off

My boys learned to ride their bikes without training wheels last week. This is a big deal. They are 5 and 6 years old, and never wanted to learn before. We worked with them a lot last summer and got nowhere. So, when they asked for those wheels to be taken off- we took them off. They were both able to take off almost instantly. All they had to learn was how to get going.

Anyway, it was hard to keep them off those bikes after they figured it out. (Until the snow came, and came again.) But between the snow storms this week, they were always gone riding. They were making a trip around the block yesterday; only they got sidetracked. I know, shocking for three kids to get distracted. I noticed they had been gone a while. (On Tuesday, the neighbor had to drive over to tell me Amelia was a whole block south of here. Just pushing the stroller along, oblivious to anything.) I finally went to look in to what was going on. I was told by Julie- who made it around the block finally- that Calvin's shoe was stuck in the bricks.

Um....what?

There is construction through the block at the middle school. Dear me. There were pallets of different bricks and things. Apparently, Calvin was climbing on those. He threw both of his shoes down into the holes of one of the pallets. He got one out, but couldn't get the other one. So, he was trying to ride home with only one shoe on.

That's what was taking so long. I guess I'm glad we don't live in the woods right now. They would probably have a million forts built and they would probably be finding all sorts of snakes and critters I don't want to think about. I just don't know how they think this stuff up. Why would you throw a shoe into a high stack of very heavy bricks? And he wouldn't even wear his helmet that day either.

0 comments: