Friday, April 11, 2008

Family Day Out






Will had some work over/down in Hanksville and Bicknell today; that is to say- the middle of nowhere. So, we made it a family outing. I am not sure what possessed me to go, because there were already a number of factors working against a pleasant day. But, off we went on the spur-of-the-moment anyway. Things turned out to not be so bad. Thankfully. One can never tell when Amelia is just going to scream 90% of the time. She was quite good today though.

We left town at 9:45am and returned shortly after 5pm. That is a long time to be in a car with four kids.

We threw in some more treasure hunting. We found a fun cache that was full of goodies for the kids. They were pretty thrilled. I decided to actually try to look for the treasure this time. I usually stay in the vehicle with the kids that don't walk, or are sleeping. I don't get to take part in the fun of the hunt. So, I did some today. It turns out, I'm not a very good hunter. I was within feet of the cache, but I didn't find it. Will found it with very little trouble after I returned to the role of watching the young-uns.

I still can't believe how well the boys climb. Even when Calvin is wearing his beloved cowboy boots. It's amazing. They really scare me sometimes. They raided the cache for some new loot, and then we left some stuff behind.

A few things I've noticed on our little outings: 1) No trip in Utah can happen without an irritating amount of wind that makes you feel cold. This drives me crazy! The weather was quite nice, and then the wind would start up and I would head for the car. 2) Someone always has to wet their pants. If you looked at the pictures, you saw Julie running around in only diaper bottoms. Oh, Julie. 3) The usual kid-fighting that causes everyone to depart in one seat, and return in a different seat location. Is it illegal to strap your kids to the roof rack?

Capitol Reef National Park was already filling up with cars. We were surprised at how many people were down there already. The scenery is nice. I am glad we went. We are all tired and worn out. Nothing makes a person more exhausted than riding around in a car full of kids and eating junk food all day.

And we are doing it all again on Monday with our trip to the Zoo. I am excited about that trip. So, I hope all goes well. I'm sure I'll be posting about that next week.

0 comments: