Saturday, July 16, 2011

Mesa Verde

Mom and I have been talking about Mesa Verde for months, maybe a year by now. She went when she was 12 years old; our family went when I was about 10 years old. We figured it was time for a trip back. Will had never been before. We live about 2 hours from there.
We got up a bit early and headed out and made it a one- day trip this time. The park is, sort of, split in two main sections and we only got to one of those. I couldn't have handled the extra switchbacks to the other section- not in the same day.

This is at the "Spruce Tree House": One of the DIY "tours", meaning we did not have a tour-guide telling us about the place, just plenty of them wandering around making sure people didn't sit on walls.....see Mom's photo of the kids. Anyway, the "walk" up from this just about did us in. I have never walked switch-backs before and the incline was substantial. It was even a bit difficult to walk down.

We saw Spruce Tree House and the museum and then headed for our picnic lunch. There were plenty of other people around doing the same thing....oddly though, garbage cans were scarce. I expected a can by each table. Our picnic was lovely and enjoyable! And the kids played in that tree in the background some too.After much consideration, we decided to only do the tour of Cliff Palace. I really want to do Balcony House too, but that would have meant leaving some people behind and also having something else scheduled; these tours are ticketed. It was amazing!
Going down.....in a previous adventure, Amelia had scared Papa quite badly, so she was beside Will or myself throughout this day. She must of really scared him. ;) {4 year old on a mountainside geocaching....}This is Nolan and me after climbing back up from Cliff Palace! He quite enjoyed it. We have crawled around many similar sites here. He loves Indian houses!!

There is much more that we didn't see; so we'll have to save it for another day.

0 comments: